Family Influences

A brother and two sisters were added to our family and I took care of them as my mother had to work outside the home to help provide for our family since a rural pastor's salary was very small. She worked for most of my growing up years. I learned early to cook and take care of the little ones. Once, when I was in the seventh grade, Mother had left a whole chicken for me to cook for dinner that night. I had never cut up a chicken and had never been shown how to do so, but by imagining how each piece looked, I actually "found" all the pieces and fried it up for dinner! Over the years I learned Mother's best recipes that I still use today - homemade pancakes, corn bread, hush puppies, macaroni and cheese and my favorite, Everyday Meatloaf, from the pages of the famous Better Homes and Gardens red-checked cookbook.

Mother probably had the most influence in my life. She loved to read and saw to it that I and my brother and sisters had plenty of reading materials. She signed up for children's book clubs and often read aloud to us. When all four of us were confined to bed with the measles she read an entire mystery novel to us and help us cut out castles and small paper people from brown paper bags to make our convalescence easier to bear.

She loved to have fun and her laugh came from deep within her. She was always a hit at "tacky parties" and church socials. Many of my favorite pictures of her are from her teen years; pictures of her and her friends at parties hosted at her large farmhouse. She sang a lovely alto and played the piano. She and my father saw to it that I had the opportunity to take piano lessons and to have a good instrument in our home at great cost to the family budget.

She would have made a fine nurse or doctor as she was always up to the task of caring for those who needed her. She learned to give shots and administered them regularly to a member of one of our small rural churches who suffered with intense migraines. She also volunteered her time to work with a young man who broke his neck in a diving accident. She was tender and caring. Upon learning that a nearby family of many little boys was without power and food, she went into high gear and fixed a huge plate of her famous pancakes for them. The little boys (we later learned) had visited several homes in the neighborhood asking for leftovers for their chickens, when in reality they were the ones who were hungry.

Another time, I can see her stopping our car to help an elderly gentleman who had fallen on the roadside. She tenderly helped him up, found out where he lived, and returned him safely to his home. She often cried along with those who mourned and laughed with those who laughed. Even though a pastor's wife is often lonely, she managed to keep her spirits high. Those unspoken lessons are indelibly traced on my life. I am so thankful.


Update: I received one of those email forwards (some of which are not memorable) that is a real tribute to my mother. Here is the text of "When You Thought I Wasn't Looking:"

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator, and I immediately wanted to paint another one.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you feed a stray cat, and I learned that it was good to be kind to animals.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you make my favorite cake for me, and I learned that the little things can be the special things in life.

When you thought I wasn't looking I heard you say a prayer, and I knew that there is a God I could always talk to, and I learned to trust in Him.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you make a meal and take it to a friend who was sick, and I learned that we all have to help take care of each other.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you take care of our house and everyone in it, and I learned we have to take care of what we are given.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw how you handled your responsibilities, even when you didn't feel good, and I learned that I would have to be responsible when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw tears come from your eyes, and I learned that sometimes things hurt, but it's all right to cry.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw that you cared, and I wanted to be everything that I could be.

When you thought I wasn't looking I learned most of life's lessons that I need to know to be a good and productive person when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking I looked at you and wanted to say,"Thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn't looking."

I gave my Mother a card that pretty much said this and I'm so glad I did!